Sponsored by Spirax Sarco
DELIVERING OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE WHERE YOU NEED IT MOST
The pharmaceutical industry plays a fundamental part in the world’s health by developing the latest in medications and vaccines. But when it comes to safeguarding the integrity of the final product, pharmaceutical manufacturers should look to a key part of their steam system that is absolutely critical in maintaining a safe and validated process – steam traps.
SHL Group details its approach to the challenges of emerging formulations
With their important role to play in pharmaceutical manufacturing, steam traps work by quickly removing condensate in order to maintain process quality and consistency. When steam traps are used in processes that require high levels of sterility such as fermenters or bioreactors, then you want to avoid any possible issue.
Angelo Giambrone, Business Development Manager at Spirax Sarco UK, said: “Steam is indispensable to a huge range of plant and high-purity applications within pharmaceutical manufacturing – from HVAC to sterilisation – so investing in steam traps that can deliver optimum performance, compliancy, traceability and peace of mind, should be a key priority for those responsible for the management and upkeep of pharmaceutical facilities”.
So what can pharmaceutical manufacturers do to ensure a safe and validated process, time and time again?
- Use the correct grade of steam for your process depending on whether there is in-direct or direct product contact.
- Use only hygienic 316L stainless steel steam traps.
- Choose fully self-draining steam traps to prevent bacterial growth and corrosion.
- Choose steam traps that are designed to provide steam quality that complies with the requirements of the FDA (Food & Drug Administration), USP (United States Pharmacopeia) and EN 285 European standard.
- Choose steam traps that can be maintained quickly and easily, with minimal process disruption.
- Choose steam traps with full material traceability/validation.
The latest generation of compliant and fully certified Spirax Sarco steam traps are a crucial component to help ensure pharmaceutical manufacturers maintain consistency and quality of process and final product, time and time again.
Share this article